Spiritual well-being is an integral part of mental, emotional and physical health. It is considered to be a primary coping resource on the journey of recovery and healing.
Spirituality and faith provide an opportunity to detach from circumstances and observe life with clarity and integrity. Spirituality can either be positive or negative. Spiritual well-being is a state
Each person’s spirituality is greatly impacted by the community they are a part of and the relationships they take part in. Spiritual well-being is not a practice of isolation but rather of affecting and involving the people around you as your own perspective is formed. Spiritual well-being groups and sessions provide an open and safe environment to explore, learn, practice, support and heal. Spiritual well-being programs often include group exploration and experiential practices on the topics of meditation, prayer, forgiveness, personal values, purpose in life, the role of self-esteem in spiritual connection, healthy relationships, and developing an authentic relationship with a Higher Power, God, or Spiritual Dimension.
Although the terms spirituality and religion are often used interchangeably, they also have their distinction. One may be spiritual without attending services or belonging to a particular religion. Similarly, one may be religious, yet not have a connection to their spirituality. In general, spiritual well-being as outlined in the three points above serves to enhance any religious beliefs or affiliations. In fact, religion can be viewed as a form of spiritual practice.
3 Areas of Life Experience
Spiritual well-being is rooted in three primary areas of life experience. These are:
- Relationships (including self-esteem, healthy connection to others and an authentic connection to a Higher Power, God or Spiritual Dimension)
- Personal Values
- Purpose in Life
The degree of ones spiritual well-being can be witnessed in the health of each of the above areas. Dedicating time to explore and develop this aspect of well-being is essential to making it a powerful resource on the healing journey.
Benefits of Spiritual Well-Being
A few of the numerous benefits of spiritual well-being include:
- Feeling content with your life’s situation
- Making time to spend alone and find inner peace
- Taking time to reflect and resolve life’s issues
- Finding satisfaction in a job well done
- Taking part in an active lifestyle rather than merely standing by and watching life as it passes
- Maintaining balance and control of life
- Building relationships
- Feeling purpose and meaning in life
- Accepting and growing from the challenges of life